You can share this article
A number of fans have expressed some concerns about our lack of transfer business so far this summer, especially when we hear that Rafa was hoping to have up to five players in by now – and we’ve been guilty of some of that.
But we all have to be a little patient and it’s a really difficult task that Rafa and Lee Charnley and his team have to bring in up to say seven first team players, but also get rid of a number of players who have no futures at Newcastle.
It’s a lot more difficult than even last summer, when both men did an absolutely stellar job for the club.
Rafa Benitez – huge task with the help of Lee Charnley this summer
But they can still get the job done
The news over the last few days is that we are finding it hard to compete with some mid-table Premier League clubs mainly because of being down below and missing out on the huge payouts in the first year of the new Premier League £5.1B TV rights deal.
We cannot do anything about that now – that’s water under the Tyne Bridge – but we are back in the Premier League and we have to realize Rafa and Lee have an extremely difficult task on their hands this summer – but can still get the job done.
The good news is that Newcastle have seemed to have ratcheted things up in the transfer market since Rafa returned last Monday to take preseason training and we are being linked with some good players and reported to be trying to make deals for a number of them.
Here are some of the players we are reported to be after:
- Adama Traore – the latest news is that we are negotiating with Middlesbrough on a possible swap deal with goalkeeper Karl Darlow going the other way and if we can pull this one off it would be a very good deal for both clubs.
- Andreas Samaris – we are negotiating with Benfica and trying to get closer to a deal with Newcastle still around about £3M short of Benfica’s valuation of Samaris at £17.5M, but it’s reported this player is one of Rafa’s top targets this summer and the manager wants the deal closed.
- Andros Townsend – there’s news in the Croydon Advertiser today that Newcastle are about to make their move for our former winger, who excelled under Rafa Benitez in the first half of last year.
We are assuming Andros still has a £13M release clause in his contract and with today’s crazy transfer fees he would be a great deal for us – and that’s the fee we got from Crystal Place for him last summer.
- Jota – in what could be a surprise signing, it’s reported that Rafa Benitez is after the Brentford playmaker who has recently played in La Liga and we were first linked with Jota (full name Jose Ignacio Peleteiro Ramallo) in mid-June.
That’s when Sky Sports reported the Newcastle manager was interested in signing his fellow countryman. There’s a possibility that we could sign this player soon, although other clubs are also in for him.
- Bas Dost – Newcastle have reportedly bid £35M for the Sporting Lisbon striker but the Lisbon club want to full £53M in his release clause – and that seems far too much for Newcastle this summer at least.
The Chronicle are reporting today that maybe the money available to Rafa is only around £70M and not the £100M or more that had been reported earlier in the summer.
Rafa wants up to another five first team players brought in after we have already signed Christian Atsu and Florian Lejeune – and we cannot really spend £35M on one player – not this summer anyway.
So there’s five good players Newcastle seem to be in for at the moment – and it would be great if we can say get a couple of them through the door in the next week.
What do you think?
You can share this article