More than 100 people die of malnutrition in Gauteng
By TMG Digital | 2016-10-30 15:15:03.0 | COMMENTS [ 6 ]
Back to Home
A total of 113 children have died of malnutrition in Gauteng in the period April 2015 to March this year‚ according to the Democratic Alliance’s health spokesman in the province‚ Jack Bloom.
He said this shocking figure had been disclosed by Gauteng Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu last week on Friday at a Gauteng Legislature Health Committee meeting held in public in Orange Farm.
According to a document presented‚ there were 3‚040 new cases of severe malnutrition‚ with 1‚512 admissions and 113 deaths due to severe acute malnutrition.
Furthermore: “Incorrect clinical assessment‚ classification and management of severe acute malnutrition (are) still a challenge.”
Mahlangu said that malnutrition cases were on the rise and that an integrated approach had to be taken that included communities and the social development.
“I am horrified that so many children are dying of starvation in an urban province like Gauteng that has the resources to ensure that everyone is fed‚” Bloom said on Sunday.
“The malnutrition death figures should be a wake-up call that more needs to be done to identity people at risk who need assistance.
“It also shows the urgent need for job creation so that people have money to feed themselves instead of relying on welfare‚” Bloom added.
Correction: This article was originally published with the headline More than 100 children die of malnutrition in Gauteng this was incorrect ‘children’ has been replaced with ‘people’
- Health Ombud to release report of probe into the deaths of psychiatric patients next month
- Yangon women "should avoid pregnancy" in next six months due to Zika
- Child soldiers freed in South Sudan but recruitment heats up – UNICEF
- World Bank appoints first adviser to tackle LGBTI discrimination
- BOOK GIVEAWAY: Thrive! by Dr Greg Venning
- Clinic operating hours set to be extended: City of Joburg
Back to top